We have been doing this January Date Nights challenge for 6 years now. We also do go on date nights throughout the year but being intentional about going every week makes me think a little more about what dates we want to have. One thought that has crossed my mind is to plan a date night that gives back.
To be honest, the first few years of January Date Nights I was not in a place to do this. I still felt like our precious time together was what we needed to keep our marriage on solid ground. If we aren’t fulfilled then it is more challenging to give to others. We still do cherish our time together but it can look differently now.
How can we pay it forward? How can we make our date nights a little more meaningful? How can we encourage others, especially other couples?
Here are a few ideas, some I have thought of on my own and others people have shared in our Facebook group.
1. Donate Blood. After you give blood you can enjoy some yummy dinner together.
2. Volunteer. Define a charity or cause that you are both passionate about and research ways you can volunteer.
3. Pay for another couple’s dinner. Yes, this is expensive but maybe you are in a place to do this. Wouldn’t it be great to encourage other couples working on their marriage?
4. Starbucks Pay it Forward. Enjoy some coffee but then pay for some customers behind you. The best part is you can sit back and watch their reactions without being caught.
5. Visit a retirement facility. This was suggested by a friend and I think it’s a fabulous idea! They are often so excited to see anyone that comes to visit them. Bring a deck of cards and play some games with them. A great game our family loves is Monopoly Deal. You can buy it here and bring it with you to share the fun.
Do you have any other ideas for date nights that give back? Let us know in the comments.